Saturday, February 19, 2011

Karma

Because there are not many new things going on here at the farm, I will start introducing some of the goats. Today I will show you my personal favorite and my baby, Karma.



Karma was born on 5/2/08 during my first year of 4-H. We had always had the goats, but this year, I was going to pick out one of the babies born and raise it for my project. I knew Karma was going to be that goat as soon as I saw her. Even as a day-old baby, you could tell she was going to be a champion, and she was.

Karma's Sire, Sterling Silver

Karma's Dam, Oreo

When we matched up Karma's parents, we expected a nice little kid or two, but never did we expect to get one as nice as Karma. The two of them proved to be a great breeding pair, both making up for each other's faults and producing a champion. 

In late August of 2008, I took Karma to the county fair (and this is no small fair either) for the first time. She was four months old and everybody loved her. She was a favorite of the goat barn, but we had bigger goals for her to reach. I remember feeling butterflies in my stomach as I rushed to get dressed in my show whites, wondering how my little Karma would do in the show ring, and oh man, was I in for a surprise! That night, my four month old pygmy goat came in 1st in her class, and then went on to win Jr. Champion. I was so happy for her, thinking that was it for the night, but then I was called back into the ring for one last class; Best Doe in Show. I looked at my mom who warned me that she was so young that there was no way she would win, but that didn't bother me. I had already done well enough. 

Our competition was a beautiful pygmy doe, and the judge carefully studied each animal. Then she made her decision; Karma won Best Doe in Show!

Karma with one of the many ribbons she won that night

To this day, Karma is still a favorite of the judges, and is still my spoiled little brat. In December of 2009, she was bred to our nicest pygmy buck and on 5/29/10, she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Leslie.

Leslie, 1 month old 
(see any family resemblance?)

Now Leslie gets to start a story of her own, and she is off to a great start, already have winning a reserve Jr. Champion. Leslie has a lot of weight to carry, but I'm not worried...

No comments:

Post a Comment