Wednesday, March 2, 2011

4-H; Get Involved!



About this time every year, 4-Hers across America meet with their clubs and get ready for another great year. This is my 4th year in 4-H and I am so glad I joined! The people in my club (Little Farmers) are amazing and offer endless advice and help. I have learned so much from 4-H and it has made me a better goat owner. At sometimes, the books can seem boring, but if you really read what they have to say, they teach you a lot. Then, everything that I have learned throughout the year and from the book gets judged in the showmanship class at the fair in August. In showmanship, they judge you on how you handle your animal, goat body parts, breed standards, and scoring of the animal. Because of the books and friends from my club, this year, at both shows that I went to, I was Master Showman. I owe those wins to 4-H.


Most people think that 4-H projects only include animals, but they don't. Other projects include things like sewing, knitting, woodworking, bee management, wildlife, pets, archery, gardening, fishing, and many, many more! If you are considering joining 4-H, go for it! You won't be sorry. Plus, it looks good on your college application!

No comments:

Post a Comment